Bangkok and Pattaya – Thailand’s most popular cities – are only 150 km (93 miles) apart.
While Pattaya is known for its resorts and beaches, Bangkok is famous for its temples and vibrant city life. Together they make an excellent combination for a holiday in Thailand. And, for this reason, most visitors explore both destinations.
Once you’ve figured out where to stay in Pattaya, here are details on how to get there:
Bangkok Airport to Pattaya: Bus vs Taxi – Cost, Travel Time, Timings & Procedure
If you plan to travel from Bangkok to Pattaya, consider leaving straight from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK).
This way, you can take advantage of the excellent connectivity between Bangkok Airport and Pattaya. Also, BKK Airport is on the Pattaya side of Bangkok – so you’ll avoid traffic and the journey is shorter. (You will most likely be flying out of Bangkok, so you can explore Thailand’s capital on your return).
Bus from Bangkok Airport (Suvarnabhumi) to Pattaya
If you aren’t in a hurry, taking the Airport Pattaya Bus most preferred way to get to Pattaya from Bangkok Airport. The bus journey takes 2 – 2.5 hours.
How to Take the Airport Pattaya Bus from Bangkok Airport?
- To take the Airport Bus (also called 389 Bus), you’ll have to go to Level 1, Gate 8, in Bangkok Airport (BKK).
- Search for the Roong Reuang Coach counter – it will have Pattaya written on one side and Hua Hin on the other.
- A ticket in 2019 cost 120 Baht ($3.75). Buses leave every hour from 05:30 am to 10:00 pm. Confirm bus timings.
- About 10 minutes before departure time, the bus staff will announce “Pattaya Bus”. You’ll have to follow them to the bus, which will be parked right across the road – after the taxis.
- Your luggage will then be loaded in the hold of the bus. You are allowed one standard size carry-on baggage, and a check-in suitcase weighing less than 20 kg (44 lbs). You’ll have to pay extra for additional or oversized bags.
- The bus makes 3 stops in Pattaya: North Pattaya, Central Pattaya, and South Pattaya (Jomtien). Buses leaving the airport at 9:00 pm and 10:00 pm only stop at the North Pattaya Bus Terminal. (Ask your driver beforehand which stop is nearest to your hotel).
- There is no bus service between Bangkok’s Don Muang Airport and Pattaya. If you land in Don Muang Airport and want to get to Pattaya by bus, it’s best to take a taxi to Bangkok International Airport (Suvarnabhumi Airport), and find your way from there.
While you wait at the airport for the bus, you can enjoy a meal in the ‘Airport Street Food Point’. The Thai food in the food court is absolutely amazing and surprisingly cheap. Food Point is also on level 1, about 15 meters to the left of the ticket point.
Bell Bus From Bangkok to Pattaya
Bell Buses also run between Bangkok and Pattaya. They leave every 2 hours – from 08:00 am to 06:00 pm from Bangkok Airport. A Bell bus ticket cost 280 Baht ($8.5) in 2019. The ticket includes transport from the bus stop in Pattaya to your hotel by minibus, making it more convenient than the 389 bus service.
You can also fly to Pattaya’s U-Tapao International Airport or reach Pattaya by train.
(The train to Pattaya leaves from Bangkok’s Hua Lamphong Train Station, and takes about 3 hours to get to Pattaya. Taking the train to Pattaya is not recommended – unless you have a lot of time and love train journeys).
Bell bus tickets, flights, and trains, have to be booked in advance. Check prices below:
Bangkok Airport to Pattaya Taxi
Taking a taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya is the quickest and most convenient way to get there. But it’s also the costliest option. The journey takes 1.5-2 hours.
How to Take a Taxi from Bangkok Airport?
- You’ll have to go to Level 1 on Bangkok Airport.
- Exit from Gate 8, turn right, and search for the automated taxi slip counter.
- Stand in line, take a slip, and search for your taxi.
- The taxi will cost approximately 1500 Baht ($45) including toll, and will drop you right to your hotel in Pattaya.
(Some taxi drivers might come up to you and offer to drop you for a lesser amount. It’s best not to go with them as their documents might not be complete).
- You can also pre-book a taxi from BKK Airport to Pattaya for as little as 1100 Baht ($30). While this seems like a good option, we haven’t tried it yet and, therefore, cannot comment on how reliable this service is.
Hiring a Car at BKK Airport
Major car rental companies have booths at the airport. While hiring a car in Bangkok is fairly straightforward, consider doing so only if you have driven in Thailand before. Bangkok’s chaotic traffic can take some getting used to, and driving straight from the airport might not be the best idea.
AOT Limousine Service
Hiring an AOT limousine is a great way to begin a lavish holiday in Bangkok. An AOT limousine from Suvarnabhumi Airport to your hotel in Pattaya will cost 3500 – 6500 Baht.
Bangkok City to Pattaya Bus
If you are not in favour of taking the airport bus (because you are already in central Bangkok), you can take a bus to Pattaya from Ekamai Bus Station (Eastern Bus Terminal), or from Mo Chit (Northern Bus Terminal), or from Sai Tai Mai (Southern Bus Terminal).
Considering everything, taking the bus is an excellent option to travel from Bangkok and Pattaya. It’s comfortable, reliable, and economical. If you are in hurry to get to Pattaya, taking a taxi is also worth considering (especially if 2 or 3 of you are travelling together – and sharing the cost of the taxi).
Once you reach, these are the top activities and things to do in Pattaya.